- +34 900 670 112
Children who know how to use a defibrillator
Many wonder the Why should children learn to use a defibrillator?
The reasons why the child must get used to these devices are several; To begin with, it must be remembered that they comprise ages in which learning is usually faster, and their ability to retain knowledge is much greater if they are awakened, and what better stimulus than being a superhero capable of saving lives. On the other hand, defibrillators could avoid more than 4.000 deaths due to cardiorespiratory arrest, taking into account that they are so easy and simple to use that there will be no problem in which children learn to use them.
Why encourage children to learn to use a defibrillator?
Children are the future of every society, as years and generations pass, cardioprotection is installed in the common consciousness, in this way the responsibility rests on them to continue developing this activity. The defibrillators increasingly multiply their availability in different public spaces, so it is necessary to expand the number of people able to use them including children. In addition, these devices are super simple to use, have instructions that show users the steps they must follow, so children are also able to act in case of emergency.
Health specialists insist that all school-age students should receive this training and accompany it with instruction in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) techniques. For those who do not know the CPR maneuvers are those that indicate that before a cardiac arrest, the first step is to call the 112 and alert the health services. Until your intervention you have to perform 30 compressions on the patient's chest, with a depth of 5 and no more than 6 centimeters and two air insufflations (mouth to mouth) if you are trained to do so. You have to request the defibrillator and as soon as it arrives, place the electrodes and activate it to make the diagnosis and advise, or not, give a shock, with the electric shock we seek to return the heart's normal rhythm and get it to beat again.
How to use a defibrillator?
The steps to follow to use a defibrillator are the following:
Step1: You have to check if it really is a cardiac arrest. Before using an AED, you have to make sure that you are facing a person in cardiac arrest. A CPR will have to be done in case the person does not respond and does not breathe.
Step 2: you have to call 112 so that professionals can go to the place where you are with all the necessary medical equipment. You do not have to be nervous, just inform your name, the address where you are and what is happening.
3 step: they have to perform the CPR.
- 30 compressions and then 2 breaths (mouth to mouth) for each 30 compressions (ERC 2015). If you are not trained to perform mouth to mouth, perform only compressions with your hands without stopping.
- 100 to 120 rhythm cardiac compressions per minute. (ERC 2015)
- In case the person is wet, first they have to dry only the chest of the person where they are going to place the electrode patches.
- Then the AED is turned on.
- You have to leave your chest exposed. In case of having a lot of hair they have to be shaved, most of the AEDs have a scissors to quickly cut the clothes and fastener to completely expose the thorax and place the electrode patches. In turn, the AED incorporates a tracker to be able to eliminate hair from the person's chest.
- Then, place the patches on the chest correctly, all the DEA indicate with drawings where they have to be placed.
- Now is the time to perform the analysis with the DEA. (here we will not touch the patient during the analysis)
- If necessary, apply an electric shock to the victim, we will make sure that no one touches the patient. .
6 Step: Continues to perform CPR immediately after download.